Friday, November 4, 2011

Homemade Baby Food


Fun Food Friday



It is Fun Food Friday.  Bina is still learning about different tastes.  Exposing her to a variety of flavors is important to us.  I decided  to make her baby food myself.  It, truthfully, seemed like the natural course to take.  I also love to buy produce, especially since I can find lots of local varieties and many "Product of U.S.A." labels.  Good to know we can support local farmers and the good work they do. 
Making baby food turns out to be much simpler than I expected.  This is a picture of homemade apples.  I peel the apples, cut them into small pieces and put them in the microwave oven for about three minutes.  Then I mash them with a fork.  This is what they look like.

 
 
If the apples are not especially juicy, I boil them until they are fork tender.  Once the apples are cooked, I mash them with a fork.  The apples can also be put in a blender with about a tablespoon of water and pureed.  Once they are pureed, I put them in an ice tray, using a tablespoon scoop.  Each individual cube fits about two tablespoons which is one serving of fruit.  That makes it easy for me to know that Bina is getting the amount she's supposed to be getting.

I actually make a list of what foods she will be eating for two weeks, like a menu.  I make the food all at once.  While one is freezing, I make the other.  Once the cubes are frozen, I put them in a resealable freezer bag and mark them with the type of food inside and the date they were made.  The process facilitates having to think about what to feed her.  Grab a cube, heat it up and enjoy watching her try something new.

Karina

No comments:

Post a Comment